This website is a member of Liberty Alliance, which has been named as an company.
Monday , October 24 2016

Officer who gunned down #LaquanMcDonald released after being charged

Last week, we reported on the shooting of Laquan McDonald when the police released the video of Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke fatally shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times.


The video appears to be at odds with statements made by the department and police union that McDonald, who prosecutors said had PCP in his system and was holding a knife with a 3-inch blade, lunged at Van Dyke before he opened fire.

Ben Breit, from the Cook County sheriff’s department, said Monday afternoon that Van Dyke was released after posting bail, 10% of the bail set by the judge, or $150,000.

Chicago Police Union president Dean Angelo, said that the union continues to support Van Dyke. He said that fellow officers have donated an undisclosed sum to a bail fund set up by Van Dyke’s wife.

“I think (the video shows) Officer Van Dyke steps into training mode and takes action that we believe at that time was justified,” Angelo said.


Van Dyke’s attorney, Daniel Herbert, said his client “feared for his life and was acting out of self-defense.” He went on to say that “the video doesn’t portray the  entirety of the incident and believes that his client will ultimately be vindicated when all the evidence is presented at trial.”

“When you see the video alone, it does not seem like a justifiable shooting,” Herbert said. “But there are certain things I know that quite frankly nobody else knows.”

Check out the video report:

h/t – Fox News

About Staff Writer

The author of this article periodically publishes the articles stories as a regular staff member, and not as a freelance writer or special contributor.

Leave a comment ...

Trending Now on

Send this to friend